Skip to main content

What will Call of Duty fans want after WWII?

I can still remember back in 2007 when Infinity Ward’s Call of Duty Modern Warfare was released. People were going crazy over this game that arguably set the standard for how a multiplayer FPS game should be played (settle down Halo fans, I said “arguably”). Modern Warfare was really the first mainstream, multiplayer FPS to be set in a modern war setting, dealing with modern military weapons and real life special forces teams battling terrorists. It was definitely a relief from the old World War II setting that most military FPS’s were set in before this time. So when Treyarch decided to go back in time again to WWII for their turn at a Call of Duty game, it should be no surprise that Call of Duty World at War was met with some disappointment from fans. If it wasn’t for the now industry standard Zombie mode World at War would not have been met with such positive reviews. It seemed fans were more satisfied with the modern setting, but some eager fans called for something more. I'll admit I even got a little hyped from the rumors spreading, YouTube videos, and article posted, teasing a Call of Duty Future Warfare featuring laser guns and spaceships. (Seriously, YouTube Call of Duty Future Warfare, scroll all the way down, and you will see what some fans legitimately wanted)


Fast forward 10 years later and futuristic warfare is all we’ve seen since Modern Warfare 3 and fans are understandably tired of it. I mean how much more futuristic could you get before the franchise becomes a copy of Halo. So what’s the logical next step for this franchise? Well why not go back to the time period that fans didn’t appreciate in the first place. Don’t get me wrong, I like the fact that Sledgehammer Games isn’t afraid to do something different with the franchise, but my question is what will fans want next? They could always pull a Battlefield and go back to World War I, which by the way is my favorite Battlefield game, but that setting doesn’t seem to fit the much faster paced gameplay of Call of Duty. It seems to me that this franchise is running out of steam, but seeing as how Activision is not about to let one of its yearly revenue streams run dry, is it time we see something way out of the box like Call of Duty Civil War. It’s highly unlikely but my point is, for this series to keep my interest it’s time to see some innovation.

Call of Duty: WWII releases November 3, 2017


Comments