Skip to main content

George St. Pierre is a Super Mario Odyssey fan!

On Oct 28, 2017, George St. Pierre posted a picture of himself wearing the new Mario hat, Cappy, and a copy of the newly released Mario odyssey in hand, on Instagram. Normally I would chalk this up to Nintendo just trying to win us over by showing fans that celebrities enjoy their games too, but being such a huge fan of George St. Pierre’s, I couldn’t help but appreciate the fact that he took time out of his busy schedule training for UFC 217 (Michael Bisping, you’re going down!) to promote a game that critics are calling the best Mario game of all time.


This isn’t GSP’s first time advertising a game for Nintendo. GSP has also been seen playing Nintendo’s fighting game Arms, which makes a lot more sense for the MMA fighter. I’ve always heard that GSP was a big nerd as a kid, and being a fan of both martial arts and video games myself, that is definitely something I can relate to. It comes as no surprise to me that GSP would be a Mario fan. Seeing one of my hero’s enjoy the same games that I do makes me appreciate the world of video games even more as a media that brings all kinds of people together. No matter your age, occupation, or social status, we can all run around as a little plumber dressed in overalls, on a mission to save the princess from a giant, spike shelled turtle (or whatever Bowser is supposed to be). Whether or not this is just another attempt from Nintendo to promote Super Mario Odyssey, (not that they really need one for such a fantastic game) I really appreciate both Nintendo and GSP’s decision to promote this game together.

Comments